There are as many third-party logistics (3PL) providers as there are unique business needs. This can make your search for the best 3PL fulfillment company feel daunting, especially when you consider all the ways a logistics partner can impact your […]
We’re A Third Party Fulfillment Provider That Approaches Things A Little Differently.
Our Business Is Being The Successful Extension Of Your Business.
Enter your email below and we’ll keep you up to date with the latest industry news, trends, and our growth, delivered right to your inbox.
How Long Does Switching Fulfillment Companies Take?
Switching fulfillment companies is a pain point that most eCommerce companies don’t take lightly. Changing logistics operations or adding a new 3PL partner costs staff time and freight and can lead to delays in order processing if not done correctly. […]
Costs add up quickly when shipping skis and snowboards. Check out these tips to make customers smile without destroying your margins.
Amazon is once again shaking up the ecommerce world — starting October 1st, it will accept new applicants for its updated Seller-Fulfilled Prime (SFP) program. If you’ve been waiting for the right moment to tap into the vast Amazon marketplace, […]
What’s the problem? According to Forbes, shopping cart abandonment in eCommerce is a $4 trillion-plus problem. That’s the estimate of total lost sales retailers suffered from a consumer adding something to their cart and then failing to complete the purchase. […]
As an eCommerce business, you’ve probably noticed an uptick in shipping and costs – both domestic and international — over the past few years. From the pandemic to rising inflation, shipping costs have gone up. And obviously these cost increases […]
As eCommerce businesses grow, they often turn to 3PLs or Fulfillment by Amazon (FBA) to handle their order processing, packing, shipping, and returns. Amazon FBA is popular for Amazon sellers because the company manages much of your inventory and fulfills […]
Shopify was designed to make it easy for anyone to set up an eCommerce store. That might be why it’s the most popular eCommerce platform, with over 3.75 million storefronts as of 2022. Shopify makes selling easy, but product pages […]
At its simplest, inventory management software is a tool your company can use to track real-time inventory. You can leverage inventory software to automate a range of other takes, including tracking sales velocity and providing low stock alerts. However, excellent […]
In 2019, Shopify built the Shopify Fulfillment Network (SFN) to provide storage, inventory management, picking, packing, and shipping for Shopify sellers. The network comprised a mix of warehouses owned by Shopify and independent eCommerce Fulfillment warehouses that Shopify subcontracted with. […]
Your customers’ satisfaction hinges on your order fulfillment process. Even the best products rely on the support of quick, seamless, and reliable delivery to create a loyal base of repeat customers. People may not need to know how your product […]
Peak season will be here before you know it, with everything that brings for eCommerce businesses. Most online sellers know that now is the time to start preparing your supply chain to meet holiday demand, but is your warehouse equipped […]
What Is Dimensional Pricing? Will It Be The End Of Your Business?
On January 2, 2015, FedEx and UPS changed how they will price shipments. We detail how this could greatly increase shipping costs for e-retailers and other businesses that use companies like FedEx and UPS to ship their products.
In addition, we breakdown why the carriers are making the change and provide examples of how the new calculations work.
Lastly, we provide possible solutions for companies that would like to reduce their shipping costs and help minimize the impact that could come from dimensional pricing.
- Will It Be The End of Your Business? WHAT IS DIMENSIONAL PRICING?
- How does pricing work now? The historical way for calculating costs to send a package was based on a very simple method; Carriers use a table that assigns a “base rate” for every combination of weight (1-150 lbs.) and distance (Zones). The heavier the package and/or the farther you ship, the more it costs. Other surcharges and fees are then added to the base rate as they are applicable (E.g. fuel surcharge).
- Does it work? Historically, this pricing structure was ideal because transport trucks could use these same variables in their formulas to calculate transportation costs, and therefore determine the profit margin for each truck transporting goods.
- What is dimensional pricing? In other words, many of the lightweight packages you ship today could see A BIG INCREASE IN COST!!! Every package you ship will now have two weights – actual weight and dimensional weight. The larger of these two will be used to calculate the cost of your shipment (Height x Width x Length) Dimensional Factor* = Dimensional Weight * The standard Dimensional Factor that UPS and FedEx will use is 166
- Why the change? The convenience of online shopping with in-home delivery, has resulted in an increase in the number of lighter weight packages in bulkier boxes being shipped to homes across the world. Consumers now purchase bath robes and teddy bears online! Bigger boxes take up more room in a truck; so less space and less weight = less revenue per truck for the carriers.
- How will this affect my shipping cost? 3 lbs. x Zone 8 $9.84 Base (Daily Pickup) Rate 3 lbs. package shipped in a 12” H x 12” W x 18” L box From: Knoxville, TN (ZIP 37923) To: Reno, NV (ZIP 89501) TRADITIONAL (12 x 12 x 18) / 166 = 15.6 lbs. 16 lbs. x Zone 8 $18.86 Base (Daily Pickup) Rate DIMENSIONAL
- 3 Questions to Consider What will my margins be if I eat the cost? If I pass this cost on to my customer – how many will I lose? Will I still be in business 1 year from now?
- Solutions Take the Air Out Negotiate your dimensional factor Find a partner with negotiating power (E.g. a 3PL)
- Take the Air Out Deliberately engineer packaging to remove as much “air” as possible. If additional packaging is added when preparing to ship, educate your packing team on the effects of their decisions. This should be the first step for any company looking to avoid large dimensional weights You might be surprised how much opportunity there is
- Negotiate Dimensional Factor Larger Dimensional Factor = Smaller Dimensional Weight = Less Effect on Your Business Must negotiate with each carrier you use (i.e. FedEx and UPS) There are no guaranteed outcomes Shipping Revenue = Power
- Find a strategic partner Quality 3PL fulfillment operations minimize effect to their clients Strategic Partners help with these various strategies Examples: Negotiating power with Carriers Package consolidation Packaging engineering
- FOR HELP REDUCING COST OF DIMENSIONAL PRICING 800.815.STAG (7824) firstname.lastname@example.org www.redstagfulfillment.com
Don't Just Take Our Word For It
See What Our Partners Have To Say
We Know What It’s Like Searching For A Fulfillment Partner…
We’ve been there before! Red Stag Fulfillment was born out of necessity as the sister company to support a fast growing ECommerce business. You can read more about the story of our development here.
Our business is being the successful extension of your business, and a big part of that is providing tools to help you evaluate us, and other fulfillment companies. That’s why we openly share our Fulfillment Provider Questionnaire, as a tool for you to use when selecting your fulfillment partner.
Download a blank questionnaire, or the questionnaire with our answers for your own internal use.