Packaging is everything but strategic when it is not sustainable. A visually appealing box can earn you extra bucks and the patronage of a few customers. But it takes sustainable packaging to experience a higher or stable ROI in the […]
We're a third party fulfillment provider that approaches things a little differently.
Our business is being the successful extension of your business.
Top-notch order fulfillment is the heart of every successful eCommerce company. Fulfillment cost is also one of the bigger operating expenses. Whether you do your order fulfillment in-house or use a fulfillment company, you may have hidden order fulfillment costs […]
Online shopping feels like a natural and essential part of our modern world. It’s hard to remember that it’s only been around for a few short decades. Even 20 years ago, most internet connections were through slow dial-up modems. The […]
After 2020, it feels a little risky to make eCommerce predictions – or any kind of predictions. However, underneath the chaos that was this past year, some eCommerce trends emerged. One of the primary trends for eCommerce was that the […]
The modern warehouse is equipped to handle the challenges of 21st century eCommerce. That means integrated operations and the ability to change quickly in response to changing business needs. Today’s warehouses also employ cutting-edge technology to make it all work. […]
In the world of online sales, your business needs a smart, reliable fulfillment solution designed to keep customers happy while controlling your costs. Your ability to get the right products to people on-time will help them decide to buy from […]
When you become an Amazon seller, you gain access to the biggest online marketplace in the world. More than half of product searches happen on Amazon, not Google or another search engine. But all that traffic doesn’t help you if […]
Warehouse slotting is an inventory management tool that can increase the efficiency of your operations. Before you dive into slotting, it’s important to collect data on your past sales. You should also understand the storage and handling needs of fragile […]
Let Us Handle
The Heavy Lifting.
Red Stag is the expert in offering best-in-class big, bulky, heavy, and high-value eCommerce product fulfillment.
What is dimensional pricing? Will it be the end of your business?On January 2, 2015, FedEx and UPS changed how they will price shipments. We detail how this could greatly increase shipping costs for e-retailers and other businesses that use companies like FedEx and UPS to ship their products.
In addition, we breakdown why the carriers are making the change and provide examples of how the new calculations work.
Lastly, we provide possible solutions for companies that would like to reduce their shipping costs and help minimize the impact that could come from dimensional pricing.
- Will It Be The End of Your Business? WHAT IS DIMENSIONAL PRICING?
- How does pricing work now? The historical way for calculating costs to send a package was based on a very simple method; Carriers use a table that assigns a “base rate” for every combination of weight (1-150 lbs.) and distance (Zones). The heavier the package and/or the farther you ship, the more it costs. Other surcharges and fees are then added to the base rate as they are applicable (E.g. fuel surcharge).
- Does it work? Historically, this pricing structure was ideal because transport trucks could use these same variables in their formulas to calculate transportation costs, and therefore determine the profit margin for each truck transporting goods.
- What is dimensional pricing? In other words, many of the lightweight packages you ship today could see A BIG INCREASE IN COST!!! Every package you ship will now have two weights – actual weight and dimensional weight. The larger of these two will be used to calculate the cost of your shipment (Height x Width x Length) Dimensional Factor* = Dimensional Weight * The standard Dimensional Factor that UPS and FedEx will use is 166
- Why the change? The convenience of online shopping with in-home delivery, has resulted in an increase in the number of lighter weight packages in bulkier boxes being shipped to homes across the world. Consumers now purchase bath robes and teddy bears online! Bigger boxes take up more room in a truck; so less space and less weight = less revenue per truck for the carriers.
- How will this affect my shipping cost? 3 lbs. x Zone 8 $9.84 Base (Daily Pickup) Rate 3 lbs. package shipped in a 12” H x 12” W x 18” L box From: Knoxville, TN (ZIP 37923) To: Reno, NV (ZIP 89501) TRADITIONAL (12 x 12 x 18) / 166 = 15.6 lbs. 16 lbs. x Zone 8 $18.86 Base (Daily Pickup) Rate DIMENSIONAL
- 3 Questions to Consider What will my margins be if I eat the cost? If I pass this cost on to my customer – how many will I lose? Will I still be in business 1 year from now?
- Solutions Take the Air Out Negotiate your dimensional factor Find a partner with negotiating power (E.g. a 3PL)
- Take the Air Out Deliberately engineer packaging to remove as much “air” as possible. If additional packaging is added when preparing to ship, educate your packing team on the effects of their decisions. This should be the first step for any company looking to avoid large dimensional weights You might be surprised how much opportunity there is
- Negotiate Dimensional Factor Larger Dimensional Factor = Smaller Dimensional Weight = Less Effect on Your Business Must negotiate with each carrier you use (i.e. FedEx and UPS) There are no guaranteed outcomes Shipping Revenue = Power
- Find a strategic partner Quality 3PL fulfillment operations minimize effect to their clients Strategic Partners help with these various strategies Examples: Negotiating power with Carriers Package consolidation Packaging engineering
- FOR HELP REDUCING COST OF DIMENSIONAL PRICING 800.815.STAG (7824) email@example.com www.redstagfulfillment.com
We know what it's like searching for a fulfillment partner...
Our business is being the successful extension of your business, and a big part of that is providing tools to help you evaluate us, and other fulfillment companies. That's why we openly share our Fulfillment Provider Questionnaire, as a tool for you to use when selecting your fulfillment partner.
Download a blank questionnaire, or the questionnaire with our answers for your own internal use.